16 Top Divorce Law Firms in Houston, TX

Use this list to find the best Divorce lawyers in Houston, TX. We suggest you contact at least three firms to determine which one best fits your budget and comfort.

Recommened divorce law firms near you

Good to know...

Getting a divorce can be difficult and stressful, so we found some information which might help you.

Do you need to be a resident to get a divorce in Texas?

A Texas divorce can only be filed by a spouse who has lived in the state for a continuous six-month period. Moreover, one of the spouses must have lived in the county in which the divorce is filed for at least 90 days. (See TX Family § 6.301)Source Divorcenet.com

In Texas, is there a waiting period?

In Texas, the divorce petition must have been filed at least 60 days before the court can grant the divorce. (TX Family § 6.702). However, two exceptions apply:

(1) Respondent spouse has been convicted of family violence offenses against petitioner or a member of petitioner's household, or received deferred adjudication. (2) In response to family violence, a protective order was entered against the petitioner's spouse. In these cases, a court can finalize the divorce more quickly and before the 60 days has passed.

Is it possible to get temporary spousal support in Texas while our case is pending?

A court may order temporary spousal support during the case if one spouse is unemployed or earns significantly less than the other. Temporary spousal support does not have guidelines, so if you're seeking support, you should demonstrate how your spouse can meet your needs.

Does Texas grant a divorce based on marital fault?

Yes. There are four grounds for divorce in Texas: adultery, cruelty, felony conviction, and abandonment.

Adultery means that one spouse has cheated on the other. Cruelty implies that one spouse treated the other in such a way that the marriage or living together was unsupportable. An abandonment conviction requires that one spouse leave the other spouse with the intention of abandonment and remain away for at least one year. A felony conviction requires that the other spouse be imprisoned for one year. Source Cordell Cordell.

When I divorce in Houston, am I able to change my name?

Yes. You can request a change of name in your petition or counterpetition, which will be permanent once the final divorce decree is entered. Then, you must go through the proper government agencies to get all of your documents changed.

Is Texas a 50/50 state when it comes to divorce?

Yes, Texas is a community property state. As a result, marital property is usually split 50/50.

Other practice areas in Houston

For all Houston practice areas visit our Houston page